FRIENDS OF GREEN MEADOWS PRESERVE
Located in West Cobb County, Georgia
The park is open to the public during daylight hours.
Green Meadows Preserve offers quiet woodlands and meadows ideal for walking, picnics, kite flying, and exploring plants, birds, and flowers. The 112 acre park is located on the northwest corner of Dallas Highway and Old Hamilton Rd. diagonally across from The Avenue West Cobb. There are public garden plots, Cherokee Indian medicine and food plant gardens, a Bluebird trail, a Civil War period house and garden, honeybee hives, etc.
Friends of Green Meadows Preserve, Inc. is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization working with citizens and Cobb County Parks to support successful development of the Green Meadows Preserve according to the approved master plan.
Friends of Green Meadows Preserve communicates park news through an email newsletter, this website, and public events. We promote careful use of Green Meadows and solicit citizen suggestions for park facilities and programs. We advocate for park needs with Cobb County and help raise funds for approved activities. Make a Donation. Be a Volunteer.
DONATE / VOLUNTEER
newsletter, and projects. All funds go to promote the park.
See bottom of page for full Photo Gallery.
The Period Garden around the farmhouse features shrubs and plantings common to the area during the 19th century. Master Gardeners have marked many plants with name plaques. The Cherokee Garden is being developed by Master Gardeners with original plants that were used by the Cherokee Indians of this region for food, medicines, tools, weapons, and shelter. Over 400 plants have been identified. Both of these historical gardens are Designated Restoration Projects by the Georgia Native Plant Society.
The Green Meadows Preserve Community Garden has over 50 raised beds for lease to the public. Local citizens have successfully grown lots of healthy vegetables since 2012 supported by Master Gardeners, the Extension Office and Cobb Parks. For information about the Community Garden, go to greenmeadowscommunitygarden.blogspot.com
MASTER GARDENER VOLUNTEERS
Master Gardener Volunteers of Cobb County hosts garden tours, public service projects, and classes on horticulture, vegetable gardening, and Cherokee history. They are an important part of Green Meadows Preserve, including the projects above. For information about Master Gardener Volunteers, visit cobbmastergardeners.com
Over 25 Bluebird nesting boxes on a 2.3 mile easy walking trail provide great photo ops and lots of bird action at Green Meadows. 133 baby Bluebirds fledged in 2014. Guided walks are led by Jim Bearden, the Trail Keeper, and his helpers several times each summer. For more information go to bluebirdtrail.blogspot.com or contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
CHEROKEE TRAIL OF TEARS
The National Trail of Tears Association has designated Green Meadows as a historical and educational Interpretive Site on the Trail of Tears Historic National Trail. The Cherokee lived in this area for hundreds of years and were forcibly relocated to Indian Territory west of the Mississippi following the Indian Removal Act of 1830. The Cherokee Garden (see Historical Gardens above) forms the beginning of a Cherokee history educational effort on Green Meadows.
Formerly known as the Bullard-Stockton property, the 112 acre Green Meadows Preserve was purchased by Cobb County in 2008 with funds from the 2006 Parks Bond Referendum. The Bullard family bought and farmed the property until the late 1900’s. Cobb County is fortunate that the heirs to the property sold the land to preserve it as a passive park. Originally it was part of a 400 acre plantation owned by William and Piety Green and saw action in the Civil War. (below).
CIVIL WAR MARKER – GREEN PLANTATION, 1864
Polk’s Corps [CS] having held the sector centering on Lost Mountain, June 5-9, was withdrawn E., leaving Gen. W.H. Jackson’s Cav. Div. [CS] to hold the vacated line.
On the 17th, Johnston [CS] shifted his left flank E. to Mud Creek; during this withdrawal, Ross’ Brigade [CS] of Jackson’s Cav. fought a spirited action from the hill W. of the Widow (Piety M.) Green house, which was used as a hospital.
Ross’ Texas Brigade held the position until forced to retreat by Hascall’s (2d) Div., 23d Corps [US], which had seized Lost Mountain that morning.
033-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1962
COBB COUNTY MASTER PLAN
The Cobb County Board of Commissioners has approved a Master Plan defining Green Meadows layout and uses. Green Meadows is designated a passive recreational facility for the quiet enjoyment of citizens. Active sports programs are available Oregon Park which adjoins Green Meadows on the North side.